So, Josh has 8 days of school left. JOSH HAS 8 DAYS OF SCHOOL LEFT!!! Yes, that's me shouting because I am so ready for things to change. I love our life, but geez enough is enough. The weekends and late nights and missed family events because of crazy deadlines are coming to a close. I'm sure that I'll look back and miss something about this time but for now, I can't really think of anything.That could be because I am currently so bored that I've started a blog. Hey, I never said I wasn't temperamental.
Rewind 5 years and I was completely freaking out about moving to Auburn, leaving our families, and helping Josh make his dream come true. I wasn't sure if he was even going to get into the program and if you know me, you know that I am a planner and I need stability in my life. Leaving everything I knew and loved for a new uncertain adventure scared me to death. I was lucky that I had a job when we moved. Actually, I prayed "If a job works out, then I'll know we should go." Well, I was hired the day I interviewed and I guess that's what happens when you say you want to let God take control - he does and you have to deal with it!
First year in Auburn = culture shock. I realized just how much I stink at meeting new people and am super slow to make friends, Josh was taking classes and couldn't find a job so money was always a concern, and I missed my parents and friends sooooo much. I cried all the way to Eufaula on multiple occasions when leaving Dothan. I think my jaw locked up for like a month that year from stress and I was so not very happy. Then Josh got into summer option and actually made it through and the next leg of our journey began.
By this time,I had an awesome couple of friends at 'the cooch" and began my second year there. I don't remember much specific about years two and three except that I finished my masters and loved being a "Critter."
The fourth year in Auburn was much like the second and third. I still missed family and home but we had a nice little life there. Right around Christmas, Josh applied to go to Urban Studio (i.e. how we ended up in Birmingham) and again I prayed "If he gets in, we'll go." Needless to say he got in. Then I quit my job. And the first year panic set in again. I quit my job in March and didn't have on in Birmingham until the first of June. Possibly the LONGEST THREE MONTHS OF MY LIFE. I was freaking out. I knew that God was in control because Josh got in and He worked everything else out but I couldn't believe he was making me wait like that for a job. I hated interviewing, resumes, e-mailing principals and all of the questions. Do you have a job yet? How was the interview? Do you have a plan for if you don't find a job? I wanted to crawl in a hole and come out in October when everything would be figured out.
Fifth year has been interesting. I love my new job ( I guess He really does know what he's doing) and Josh is surviving school ( I don't think anyone thrives so surviving is the best that can be expected). I've met some really awesome people and love our life here. We also found a church that is amazing so that's a plus. Now, it's time to panic again. Josh is going to be looking for jobs and we may have to move...again. Then I'll have to find a job and make news friends. But this time, for some reason, I'm not as scared. I've been pushed out of my comfort zone so much in the last few years that I'm used to the feeling of uncertainty. Not to say that I don't have my moments where the panic sets in and my stomach does flip flops but I know that if we are about to complete the first five years of living away and being together and being taken care of no matter what, what reason is there not to trust Him? I mean, who really thought that Josh would make it through architecture school? (I'm a sucky wife for ever having the occasional doubt but I'm just being honest). All we heard was how hard it was and how the lights never go off...and they were right. But, he's doing it ( and doing an awesome job of it I must add). I'm doing everything I can to be supportive and help him while not going crazy myself. Through the support of our friends and family (who we will NEVER be able to repay for all they've done) and the love, comfort, peace, and assistance of our Savior, we are finally on the other side.
I can't wait to see where our journey leads us next. I must say that I honestly hope we get to stay here a few years but you never know. But for now, I want to celebrate all of the hard work my loving, creative, precious husband has put in because it is about to pay off. The end is in sight!!! Hallelujah!
No comments:
Post a Comment